Liberal group comes to the aid of Sen. McCaskill – but just like the candidate, is unable to defend her real record on spending.
WASHINGTON – Today’s announcement that Majority PAC has come to the aid of liberal Sen. Claire McCaskill with a radio advertising campaign is no surprise.
Nor is it a surprise that the liberal group is completely unable to make a substantive defense of McCaskill’s record on spending.
The group’s ad claims: “Just like she’s fighting to end tax breaks for big oil and cut spending. … McCaskill voted against her own party’s budget because it spent too much. …”
But here is the Truth about Claire:
• McCaskill voted to adopt the Democrats’ 2008 budget resolution, authorizing up to $954.1 billion in discretionary spending (S. Con. Res. 21, CQ Vote #172: Adopted 52-40, 5/17/07, McCaskill Voted Yea)
• McCaskill voted for the Democrats’ 2009 budget resolution, which authorized up to $1 trillion in discretionary spending (S. Con. Res. 70, CQ Vote #142: Adopted 48-45, 6/4/08, McCaskill Voted Yea)
o With that 2009 budget resolution, McCaskill voted to increase the debt limit by $800 billion
• McCaskill voted for the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac bailout in July 2008 (H.R. 3221, CQ Vote #186: Motion Agreed To 72-13, 7/26/08, McCaskill Voted Yea)
o The Fannie Mae Freddie Mac bailout also increased the debt limit by $800 billion (H.R. 3221, Roll Call Vote #96: Passed 84-12, 4/10/08, McCaskill Voted Yea)
• McCaskill voted for the $700 billion TARP bailout (H.R. 1424, CQ Vote #213: Passed 74-25, 10/1/08, McCaskill Voted Yea)
• McCaskill voted for the $800 billion “stimulus” legislation (H.R. 1, CQ Vote #64: Adopted 60-38, 2/13/09, McCaskill Voted Yea)
o The stimulus vote increased the debt limit by $789 billion
• McCaskill voted for the wasteful “Cash for Clunkers” program (H.R. 3435, Roll Call Vote #270: Passed 60-37, 8/6/09, McCaskill Voted Nay)
• McCaskill voted to increase debt limit by $290 billion in December 2009 (H.R. 4314, Roll Call Vote #397: Passed 60-39, 12/24/09, McCaskill Voted Yea)
• McCaskill voted to increase the debt limit by $1.9 trillion in January 2010 (H.J.Res. 45, Roll Call Vote #14, Passed 60-39, 1/28/10, McCaskill Voted Yea)
• McCaskill cast the deciding vote in favor of the $2.5 trillion Obamacare legislation (H.R. 3590, CQ Vote #396: Passed 60-39, 12/24/09, McCaskill Voted Yea)
“American Crossroads could not be more delighted that a liberal PAC wants to co-host a debate with us in Missouri on Claire McCaskill’s record of spending in Washington,” said American Crossroads communications director Jonathan Collegio. “We look forward to a robust debate on the extent of the damage McCaskill’s big-spending record has done to America’s fiscal health.”
For more information on Sen. Claire McCaskill’s real record, visit www.truthaboutclaire.com.
American Crossroads is a non-profit 527 political organization dedicated to renewing America’s commitment to individual liberty, limited government, free enterprise and a strong national defense through informed and effective political action. American Crossroads seeks to educate voters and empower citizens to hold lawmakers and office-seekers accountable for where they stand. Paid for by American Crossroads. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee. www.americancrossroads.org
For more information or to arrange an interview, contact Jonathan Collegio at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 559-6424.